Pot of gold - papier mache jewelry bowl

Ok, I am not a leprechaun, not even Irish and as much as I'd like to, I don't own a pot of gold. But I have a golden pot. Actually I made  a golden pot myself in the easiest  way possible. I need to store my continuously growing rings and bracelets collection and it turned out perfect for this purpose. The technique that I used is called papier mache and you've probably at least heard of it, if not even tried it in school. It's really simple but the result is quite amazing.



Here are some tools and supplies that you'll need:


1. You will use the bowl as a mould, but you'll have to cover it up in platic wrap because you don't want your paper to stick to the actual bowl
2. Rip a newspaper in 2 cm wide strips
3. Take a strip of paper and using a paint brush, apply mod podge on one side then stick in on the bowl and apply another layer of mod podge. Continue doing this, applying a full radial layer of strips, then continue with a circular layer. It's like creating a crisscross with the strips. You will need to add at least 5 alternating layers to get a stiff result. But you can go up to 10, the more the better.
4. Let it dry over night
5. Next day, carefully remove the papier mache bowl from the actual bowl
6. The plastic wrap should come off easily
7. Trim the edges
8. Paint it


I have the best golden acrylic paint so I had to use it for this. I hope you like it and I really want to see how yours turns out, so please feel free to comment or leave a photo with your papier mache project.

Love,
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover